Today we present to you Taiwanese sesame wine chicken soup 麻油雞. This soup dish really gets the blood flowing with the potent mixture of rice wine, ginger, gogi berries and liquorice. In the coming winter months it will be especially welcome at the dinner table, it really does warm the parts that other, even spicy, soups cannot reach. Often specially prepared for new mothers, to build up their strength and help them produce good milk. But anyone can enjoy this soup/stew anytime! Taiwanese sesame wine chicken soup 麻油雞 is not just a food but also a medicine/cure!
The ingredients 食材 to make about 6 good portions of soup are as follows;
- 12 chicken wings
- ginger, about 2 thumbs size
- 2 liquorice roots
- 6 chinese dried black plums
- gogi berry, a good handful (60 berries approx)
- 100% pure sesame oil, 1/3 of a chinese bowl
- Taiwanese rice wine, 1/3 bottle
The method 作法;
- chop up the ginger into thin slices
- also chop up the liquorice root into thin long slices
- the chicken wings are cut into two pieces at the ‘elbow’
- heat up the frying pan and before you add any of the sesame oil put in the thinly sliced ginger to ‘dry fry’ – this gets the water out so it won’t spit hot oil at your hands!
- when it’s looking dry you can add the sesame oil
- when the ginger is looking browned you add in all the chicken wing pieces
- turn up the heat to quickly cook the wings
- when the wings are all white, rather than raw looking you can transfer the contents of the frying pan to a large saucepan (with a lid)
- add the rest of the ingredients into the saucepan now
- now pour in 1/3 of the bottle of rice wine and a chinese bowl of hot water
- cover the pan with the lid, when it’s boiling turn down the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes
- now serve the soup and enjoy the warming taste of Taiwanese sesame wine chicken soup 麻油雞!
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact method step by step, as she prepares the Taiwanese sesame wine chicken soup 麻油雞. It’s good to watch the timings of adding the ingredients and you can see how the ingredients are chopped into correct sizes, also some English and Chinese extra instructions are on the video.
Taiwanese sesame wine chicken soup 麻油雞 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Next up we will be talking about our new Greenhouse and gardening at our new house. Really will this time, we have the pictures now!