Here is a very popular Taiwanese Street Food – Taiwanese salty crispy chicken 鹹酥雞. Lots of people buy this at the night markets or at the stalls on the way home after work. If you like fried chicken, and who doesn’t, you will like this dish! We served ours simply with some boiled rice and some stir fried green vegetables on the side. Alternatively you can have it with all sorts of combinations; as a starter/snack on its own, with coleslaw and french fries is one of our favourites too. Have a beer with it too!
The ingredients (for 2 to 3 people) 食材;
- half a kilo of chicken pieces
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 1 garlic clove chopped finely
- half a tsp five spice
- half a tsp white pepper
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- handful of basil leaves
- sweet potato flour, coarse ground if possible
- Taiwanese salt ‘n’ pepper powder
The method 作法;
- chop the chicken into small pieces, boneless if you like, depends on your preference
- in the bowl with the chicken add your soy sauce, rice wine and garlic, five spaice and white pepper
- mix it all together for a few minutes then put it in the fridge for 30 mins to marinade
- add your egg yolk to the chicken mixture, mix it up
- coat the chicken pieces in the sweet potato flour, one by one and put them on a plate
- wait until the flour coated pieces get wet again before frying
- get your oil hot and at least 1″ deep. We used just a small pan and fried the chicken in 2 batches
- put the chicken in piece by piece, don’t stir it for a while, you don’t want the crispy coating to come off
- when golden brown take the chicken pieces out and heat the oil to very hot again; re introduce the chicken to the oil for a ocuple of minutes.
- repeat step 9. one more time and add your basil leaves. this will be nice and crispy.
- a couple of minutes later it’s ready to servce and you should sprinkle the Taiwanese salt n papper poweder over the chicken pieces and toss the whole lot to make sure it’s all got seasoning on
- now serve it on its own or with some side dishes… yummy!
Joanne has recorded a how to make Taiwanese salty crispy chicken 鹹酥雞 street food cooking video so you can see and follow the timings, chopping shapes and sizes, and method step by step, as she prepares this delicious traditional Taiwanese street food.
Taiwanese salty crispy chicken 鹹酥雞 night market Taiwan food, cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!