Today we have a great traditional Taiwanese way to make the most of the vegetable known as egg plant or aubergine. These lovely purple vegetables are in season now and you can buy a handsome example at a great price. What to do with one? Well here we have Taiwanese fish taste egg plant 魚香茄子 stir fry which you can choose to make as a side dish or a main, it depends on how much you like it and how much pork mince you add (if any). I like a version with quite a bit of mince in as a main dish. We served this meal with white rice and some green vegetables on the side.
The ingredients 食材;
- 1 egg plant (aubergine)
- 250g pork mince
- 1.5 tbsp spicy yellow bean paste 辣豆瓣醬
- ginger, garlic, chili, spring onion to taste
- half tsp sugar
- dash of fish sauce 魚露 & rice wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce.
The method 作法;
- Prepare the above ingredients and spices in the quantities suggested
- Dry your egg plant and chop it as shown by Joanne, it’s nice to have a little of the purple skin on every piece of chopped vegetable so follow her video directions!
- Quickly stir fry the egg plant in hot salted oil
- After about a minute empty the egg plant into a sieve and put the pork mince and a pinch of salt straight into the frying pan you just used
- Once the pork is cooked though every piece push it to one side and add the ginger followed by the garlic and chili
- When you smell those spices cooking nicely mix the pork mince in with the spices
- Add 1.5 tbsp of hot yellow bean paste, fry it until you get a good aroma again
- Follow this by adding a half tsp of sugar
- Put the egg plant back in the pan with all the other ingredients now
- Add a dash or rice wine, follow this a minute later with the spring onion and optional splash of fish sauce
- Vegetarians can make this dish without the pork mince or including soya mince.
Joanne has recorded a how to make Taiwanese fish taste egg plant 魚香茄子 stir fry cooking video so you can see and follow the timings, chopping shapes and sizes, and method step by step, as she prepares this delicious traditional Taiwanese favourite dish.
Taiwanese fish taste egg plant 魚香茄子 stir fry cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!