This is one of Joanne’s favourite snacks. It’s very hard to buy the Taiwanese one here in the UK, so as usual we decided to make our own Taiwanese Spicy Beef Jerky 自製台式辣味牛肉乾. The cooking method or technique isn’t very complicated but there are several stages to change your large joint of beef into spicy, stringy, chewy jerky. If you have or haven’t tried Taiwanese Spicy Beef Jerky 自製台式辣味牛肉乾 before then it’s worth a try with this recipe to try and see what you get when you make a home-made version. Also as it’s home cooking you know there’s no nasty additives or chemicals in this and you can choose a nice budget cut of beef for it. Shin beef is Joanne’s favourite choice for this Jerky.
The ingredients 食材;
- 1.5Kg beef joint
- 1/2 bowl soy sauce
- 1/3 bowl dark soy sauce
- 1/3 bowl rice wine
- spices: 4 spring onions, 4 star anise, 1 chili, thumb of sliced ginger, handful of rock sugar, 3 small sprigs of coriander, 1 tsp pepper and 2 tbsp mild red chili powder + a Taiwanese spice bag!
The method 作法;
- Prepare the above ingredients and spices in the quantities suggested
- Put all the ingredients (except the red chilli powder) into a large saucepan which has a lid (it is best if the pan is only a little bit larger than the ingredients)
- cover the pan and put it on a hottest heat until it bubbles up
- top up with boiling water from your kettle so that all the ingredients are only just covered up
- turn the heat to low/medium and simmer for about an hour
- now take out the beef joint and put it on a chopping board
- cut the beef into thin slices along the “grain” of the meat fibres – this will help make a typical jerky stringy texture
- now arrange all the slices of beef in a largediameter pan and cover with some of the sauce the joint cooked in
- sprinkle your spicy chili powder over the beef slices now, as much and as spicy as you want, we used about 2tbsp of medium hot red pepper powder
- cook on a medium heat and turn the pieces over sometimes as the sauce evaporates
- when the sauce has all reduced we are ready for the next stage; get your oven ready at 150C
- place all the beef slices one by one on a wire rack in your oven (watch the video below at 12.10)
- it will take between 20 and 40 minutes for your beef jerky to cook depends on how thick your slices were, just make sure you don’t burn them as that will be a big waste!
- let the beef jerky cool down, you will see if it’s dry/cooked enough now (if not put it in the oven a bit longer)
- you can keep it in a jar once cooled and the spices should preserve it for a week or so, if it lasts that long!
Joanne has recorded a how to make Taiwanese Spicy Beef Jerky 自製台式辣味牛肉乾 cooking video so you can see and follow the timings, chopping shapes and sizes, and method step by step, as she prepares this delicious traditional Taiwanese favourite snack.
Taiwanese Spicy Beef Jerky 自製台式辣味牛肉乾, cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!