Today we made a famous dish called Twice Cooked Pork 回鍋肉 Taiwanese style. The spicy taste is mainly from a spicy yellow bean paste which I hope you can get from your local Chinese supermarket if you don’t have it already. The first cooking of the pork is by boiling in a pan of water, we keep this water as it’s a good stock for soup and to add to your stir frys. We boiled the pork yesterday and are using half of the joint today in this recipe. In old Taiwan we used to boil and salt this meat to preserve it. Then when using in this stir fry it would become “twice cooked”. Also it tastes great, we hadn’t had this in a while because we had been enjoying the slightly different Korean version which I discovered how to cook last year!
The ingredients (for 2 to 3 people) 食材;
- half a kilo of cooked (boiled) pork
- 1 tbsp spicy yellow bean paste
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce (or thick soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin (Japanese sweet vinegar)
- bunch of garlic leaf
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 chillies
- 2 spring onions
- handful of coriander to garnish
- serve with rice and green vegetables (we used oil seed vegetable)
The method 作法;
- prepare the joint of pork by boiling it in a pan of water the day before you need it
- slice and chop all the vegetables into quite small pieces
- very thinly slice the cold pork
- now get the sauce ready so we can pour it in the stir fry later
mix the yellow bean paste, rice wine, oyster sauce and soy sauce together in a small bowl, put to one side
- heat up your frying pan and add 3 or 4 tbsp of oil, when that’s hot add in your sliced pork
- once the pork is browning add the other ingredients, saving half the garlic to stir fry with the side greens later
- add a dash or mirin if you like
- the stir fry will be ready in a few minutes
- pour the sauce we prepared earlier and make sure everything is heated through
- garnish with some coriander to taste
- we served with rice and green vegetables.
Joanne has recorded a how to make Twice cooked pork 回鍋肉 Taiwanese style cooking video so you can see and follow the timings, chopping shapes and sizes, and method step by step, as she prepares this delicious traditional Taiwanese food.
How to make Twice cooked pork 回鍋肉 Taiwanese style food, cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!