Today Joanne made Shark fin melon soup with ribs 魚翅瓜(冬瓜)排骨湯. A lot of people have been asking for some tranditional Taiwanese soups toe cooked on Taiwan Duck so here we have a good seasonal one. It’s seasonal because the “Shark Fin Melon” variety of marrows are becoming ready to harvest. Our shark fin melon plants are now gigantic and we have about 7 of the melons left still growing well. It’s a very nice tasty vegetable great in soups, in stir frys or sauteed.
The ingredients 食材;
- 500g piece of shark fin melon
- 6 fish meat balls (if you like)
- 300g pork ribs
- 20 clams (if you like)
- some carrot, ginger, Taiwanese celery and rice wine
The method 作法;
- Prepare the igredients cut into the sizes shown in the video
- Blanch the pork ribs that have been cut into pieces about 3cm long
- Put the ribs in water to cook, add half of your ginger slices to the pot
- While the pork ribs cook for 10 minutes you can chop your melon or anything else you haven’t prepared
- Now check your cooking pork ribs and remove any bubbles/scum from the top of the soup and throw away. We want a clear soup.
- 20 minutes later add the fish ball, carrot, rest of the ginger, boil it up again.
- Now you can add some of the shark fin melon to the soup, wait for it to boil up again and simmer for about 5 minutes
- Now add the clams for 2 minutes, until thay have all opened up and add a splash of rice wine and sesame oil and a half teaspoon of sea salt
- Finally just before taking off the cooker add in the choped Taiwanese celery.
- Its ready to serve now! Hope you like it!
Joanne has recorded a making Shark fin melon soup with ribs 魚翅瓜(冬瓜)排骨湯 cooking video so you can see and follow the timings, chopping shapes and sizes, and method step by step, as she prepares this delicious traditional handy Taiwanese soup. Remember the fish balls and clams are optional the soup is still good and plenty tasty without these seafood ingredients.
Shark fin melon soup with ribs 魚翅瓜(冬瓜)排骨湯 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!