Sesame dough balls 芝麻球/開口笑 are a great dessert for Taiwanese food lovers. (or anyone who likes desserts!) These are a traditional Taiwanese treat of the past. I think they are a little bit like doughnuts if less fried, but if more fried they are cispy inside too, which is quite different. We served them hot with custard but could have served them with ice cream or condensed milk. Also nice to eat when they have cooled down, like you would a doughnut. Try them out!
The ingredients 食材 for about 30 balls are as follows;
- 1 bowl self raising flour
- 2.5 bowls of plain flour
- half a bowl of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 30g lard
- 2/3 bowl of water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 bowl of sesame seeds
- half bowl of sliced almonds
The method 作法;
- sieve all the flour into a mixing bowl
- microwave the lard to a liquid
- put the eggs and sugar with the lard and blend it together
- mix this mixture into the flour
- slowly add the water, bit by bit as you make the dough
- kneed the dough about 10 minutes
- make a long roll of dough and break pieces off to make ping-pong ball sized balls of dough
- dip the dough balls into water and roll in sesame seeds or almond flakes
- heat up the oil over a medium heat
- add a few balls, remember they will get bigger so leave some room!
- when they are golden take them out of the oil and re-heat the oil to high termperature, now re-fry the balls for half a minute, take them out.
- now the balls are ready to serve with a sweet sauce of your choice like; custard, ice cream, condensed milk, cream etc
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact method step by step, as she prepares the Sesame dough balls 芝麻球/開口笑. It’s good to make a dessert for a change. We shared these with the neighbours, who seemed like they liked them, especially the children. If you like doughnuts you should like these.
How to make Sesame dough balls 芝麻球/開口笑 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Next up we will be talking about our new Greenhouse and gardening at our new house.