Today on Taiwan Duck we have a very popular and traditional Taiwanese street food. It’s one of my favourite three meals of the day – breakfast. Today’s breakfast recipe is for rice ball Taiwanese breakfast 紫米飯糰 – it’s pronounced “fan twan”. We’ve covered Taiwanese breakfasts before, like my favourite dan bin 蛋餅, but today this is Joanne’s favourite!
The ingredients (for 4 people) 食材;
- 1 cup of black rice, 1 cup of sushi rice, half cup of barley – soak in 2.5 cups of water for 1 hour before boiling to cook
- four stewed eggs
- four “yo teow” – like an unsweetened crispy fried dough finger
- 4tbsp of fine shredded pork
- 4tbsp dried fried mooli
- 4tsp of peanut powder
- some sesame seeds
- some sesame oil
- one whisked egg – deep fried to crispy pieces
The method 作法;
- get your rice ready and in a bowl with all the other ingredients ready too
- get a large plastic bag and put a tea towel in it
- put the bag on your work surface and brush the top with some oil (we used sesame oil)
- sprinkle some sesame seeds in a circle on the bag
- make a flat circle of rice
- add the filling in the middle of the circle
- fold in the sides by lifting the plastic bag and mould a shape like an American football
- when it’s nicely rounded put it in a plastic bag, you can eat it hot or cold for your breakfast!!!
Joanne has recorded a how to make a rice ball Taiwanese breakfast 紫米飯糰 “fan twan” video so you can see and follow the exact chopping sizes, making method step-by-step. If you’ve not enjoyed this famous Taiwanese breakfast for a long time because you aren’t in Taiwan why not make it for yourself at home?
How to make Rice ball, Taiwanese breakfast 紫米飯糰 video
Stay tuned for more Taiwanese gardening, advice and cooking! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!