This Sunday is the traditional mother’s day in Taiwan. Joanne has thought about what meal would be best for a treat for your mother and decided it is this; 蒜泥白肉 Pork with garlic and oyster sauce – for mother’s day. If you don’t live at home, or you are a mum with kids too small to make something like this for you, perhaps you can just make it for yourself. It’s a tasty traditional Taiwanese classic, the meat is supposed to be very pale and the sauce a contrasting dark colour.
The ingredients 食材 are as follows;
- 500g pork – boiled with lemon, ginger and a splash of rice wine.
- A bunch of green vegetables
- Sauce: 2 tbsp oyster sauce, 2tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp water, 1tsp corn flour, 1tsp sugar, 1tsp Worcester sauce, splash of Sesame oil
- Spices: ginger, garlic and chilli
- Garnish: Coriander, celery, spring onion
The method 作法;
- Boil your 500g of belly pork in a pan of water with half a lemon, a splash of rice wine and a couple of slices of ginger – the lemon adds a nice flavour and helps the pork become whiter than normal
- While your pork is cooking prepare your sauces, spices and vegetables as shown in the picture.
- Now we will prepare the sauce: mix together the sauce ingredients listed above and put to one side.
- Test the pork to see if its cooked. The cooking will take about 15 minutes of boiling, you will know it is ready when your chopstick can easily be inserted into the meat.
- Take the pork out of the water when you think it’s ready then slice it into very thin slices.
- Get your leaf vegetables and put them in the hot pork stock you just took the meat out of – this is only for about 30 seconds until they all wilt and become soft. Take them out of the pan and make a “bed” on your plate.
- Now you can arrange the pork slices on the bed of vegetables.
- We need the sauce to get ready now so heat up a frying pan and add a splash of sesame oil, then add some finely chopped ginger and garlic. After a few seconds add in the sauce we mixed earlier and bubble it all together on the heat for about 30 seconds.
- Take this sauce off the heat and pour it over your pork slices.
- Now garnish the pork with chilli, celery, spring onion and coriander.
- It’s all ready to eat! Enjoy!
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact recipe and method step by step, as she prepares and cooks this mother’s day treat!
How to make 蒜泥白肉 Pork with garlic and oyster sauce Taiwan style – for mother’s day
We really hope you enjoy this meal. As we said it is a Taiwanese classic dish to treat your mother or yourself today. Please try it you’ll like it. Join us on Facebook for more Taiwanese cooking, recipes and gardening tips.