Pai gu fan 排骨飯 simply translates to pork chop rice, but it is much more than that! This is a very special convenience food made popular by the Taiwanese railway company 鐵路便當. Many people enjoyed this meal on their travels. Now many more people just enjoy this “bian dang” anytime and anywhere! It’s a classic Taiwanese street food that started as railway food!
The ingredients 食材 (for 4 people);
- COOKING SAUCE
- half a bowl of soy sauce
- 4 star anise
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp 5 spice
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp of rice wine
- 3 bowls of boiling water.
- 4 pork chops
- sweet potato flour
- MARINATING SAUCE:
- soy sauce
- 1 uncooked egg
- spring onions and garlic
- SIDE DISH:
- green vegetables, carrots
- sour pickled vegetables
The method 作法;
- First of all we made the cooking sauce. Get all the “COOKING SAUCE” ingredients above and put them in a pan and heat it up
- Now we have to prepare the pork chops. Hammer them to make them softer. Also cut the rhind so they don’t shrink too much.
- The pork chops should now be marinated in the MARINATING SAUCE, using the ingredients above, rub them all together and leave it all for over an hour
- After marination coat the chops in sweet potato flour ready for frying.
- Shallow fry the coated chops until golden brown, then transfer them to the pan cooking the sauce for 5 minutes
- Fry the sour pickle and boil your side vegetables of choice (we used carrots and asparagus)
- That’s it, ready to serve on a bad of rice!
Joanne has recorded a how to make Pai gu Fan Taiwan pork chop 排骨飯 cooking video so you can see and follow the exact method and tiumings she uses. We hope you really enjoy this Taiwanese street food classic meal!
How to make Pai gu Fan Taiwan pork chop 排骨飯 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!