This dessert is a very high quality Taiwanese style sweet. Joanne prepared it especially for a friend who will visit tomorrow. So she decided to make a video because it is one of Taiwan’s favourite after dinner treats. The ingredients are comparatively healthy and nutritious for a dessert as it’s mainly vegetable based. The white jelly-like fungus is supposed to be good for a person’s skin (最佳養生美容甜點!!) and will protect your stomach. We hope you enjoy Lotus seed, red date and white fungus dessert 紅棗，蓮子，白木耳甜品.
The ingredients 食材 are as follows, as shown in the picture;
- Water lily seeds (same as Lotus Seeds)
- Red dates
- White fungus
- Brown sugar
The method 作法;
- Soak all your dried ingredients for 3 hours or more (everything except for the sugar)
- Clean your lotus seeds of any pieces of skin left on them
- Cut up the white fungus and throw away the yellowy pieces which are hard
- Boil half a pan of water and put the fungus in, heat up the pan again until it boils
- Now take the white fungus out with a sieve and put it straight into very cold water (like iced water)
- In another small pan boil up 500ml water, add the bowl of brown sugar, stir it
- In the pan which had the white fungus add the lotus seeds and red dates, boil this up for 20 minutes
- Wait for everything to cool down for about half an hour and mix all the things together in a big serving bowl
- That’s it, 最佳養生美容甜點!! it’s ready to serve – this is the warm version, you can chill it in your fridge if you like it cold.
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact recipe and method step by step, as she prepares and cooks this mother’s day treat!
How to make Lotus seed, red date and white fungus dessert 紅棗，蓮子，白木耳甜品
We really hope you enjoy this Taiwanese classic sweet soup dessert. Please try it, you’ll like it! Join us on Facebook for more Taiwanese cooking, recipes and gardening tips.