In the markets it seems to be Mango season, they’re big, tasty and at a good price right now. We like mango as a wonderful juicy and tasty fruit but it also goes very well in savoury dishes, the sweet flavour won’t over-power your meat or seafood. We much prefer a sweet and sour mix with mango rather than pineapple which can be too powerful! So we have two delicate and delicious flavours combined in the Mango King Prawn 芒果大蝦球 dish. The sauce is also a great compliment, the mayonnaise is just enough to take the bite out of the mustard but the flavour still comes through to interact with the prawn, great with rice. Textures are very interesting with the contrast of the crispy prawn and the slippery mango on a bed of rice which has absorbed some of the sauce. This dish went down very well at our house, it simply disappeared!
The ingredients 食材 are as follows;
- 1 Chinese bowl of peeled fresh prawns
- 1 Chinese bowl of chopped mango
- some potato starch/flour
- an egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp of mayonnaise and 1 tbsp of mustard, a squirt of lemon juice (this is the sauce)
- a little lemon or lime rind, grated
The method 作法;
- prepare the prawns by removing all the shell etc, cut the prawns back so that they ‘butterfly’ – open up.
- in the bowl with the king prawn add a little salt and about a quarter of the beaten egg and mix it up
- coat the prawns in the potato flour (we used a coarse flour, more crunchy!)
- once you’ve finished, start again – roll the prawns in flour one more time, in more or less the same order
- now add the re-coated prawns to a pan with 1cm of oil (medium heat)
- cook until crispy and drain the oil
- into the hot pan add the mayo-mustard-lemon sauce, no heat required, the pan is warm enough
- now mix in the prawns as well, when it’s all mixed place the food onto a serving plate.
- grate some lemon or lime rind over the dish and serve, eat it right away, while it’s hot
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact method step by step, as she prepares the Mango King Prawn dish 芒果蝦球.
How to make Taiwanese Style Mango King Prawn 芒果蝦球 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! The next recipe video will be an old Taiwanese favourite!