We hope this Taiwanese Style Lamb Stew (Hotpot) can warm you up this winter! This is very tasty and warming for the current cold weather. We recommend a lamb shoulder chopped up for the stew meat. To counteract the ‘hot’ lamb we used ‘cold’ Chinese Leaf – this is about Chinese food therapy – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_food_therapy This is a Taiwanese special meal for winter and we hope you enjoy it now.
The ingredients 食材 (for 4);
- 1kg lamb, cubed
- 1 carrot
- carrot sized amount of white mooli
- a large potato
- some Chinese cabbage – see picture
- a handful of coriander (cilantro)
- spices: a chili, a few slices of ginger, bay leaf, 2 spring onions, aniseed, Chinese spice bag (rou bau)
- 3 sugar rocks
- quarter bowl of rice wine
- quarter bowl of soy sauce
- quarter bowl of sesame and vegetable oil mixture
The method 作法;
- scald the lamb in boiling water for a minute, remove it and put to one side
- in a big frying pan add the oils, add in the spring onions, ginger, chili and bay leaves, aniseed and brown them for a couple of minutes
- add in the scalded lamb chunks and stir fry, now add in the sugar rocks
- transfer this stir fried food into a deep pan and add the rest of the ingredients, cover the pan and let it all steam together
- five minutes simmering later, open the pan and add boiling water from your kettle until just over the level of the meat, add the coriander, leave on a low heat
- thirty minutes later put the vegetables in the pan, put the Chinese cabbage in last covering up the rest of the food, put the lid on and leave it simmering for another 15 minutes or so
- we transferred enough for two people into a hot pot on the dining table to enjoy a nice hot meal on this cold day! the left overs can be re-heated another day – this stew gets better and better with re-heating…
Joanne has recorded a Taiwanese Style Lamb Hotpot Stew 台灣羊肉爐 cooking video so you can see and follow the timings, techniques, and method step by step, as she prepares this warming hearty meal for four. We hope you all have a great warm winters evening!
How to make Taiwanese Style Lamb Hotpot Stew 台灣羊肉爐, cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Next up will be a favourite red dish! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!