Three cup chicken is one of the most famous Taiwanese recipes there is. Some might say it’s the signature main course of Taiwanese cooking! Joanne has so much experience cooking this to perfection, this is the definitive 3 cup chicken recipe 三杯雞 and method. Don’t follow any other version, choose Taiwan Duck‘s recipe for authentic Taiwanese taste!!! This dish has great aroma and taste, it’s not spicy, the sauce is rich and flavoursome, so all you need to accompany it is some nicely cooked rice. Choose some white wine too, to treat yourself after doing the cooking.
The ingredients 食材 are as follows;
- 3 large chicken legs, boned or not depending on your preference
- the three cups;
- 1. Sesame oil – 100ml
- 2. Soy sauce – 100ml
- 3. Rice wine – 100ml
- two handfuls of basil
- 10 slices of ginger
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- a carrot
- 5 mushrooms
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 1 chili, sliced
- 1tbsp brown sugar
The method 作法;
- cut the chicken, leaving skin on, into approximately two-thumb sized pieces
- chop the carrot, spring onions and mushro0ms
- put the sesame oil into the pre-heated pan
- add the ginger slices
- fry until the ginger is golden brown
- add the garlic and carrots, quick fry
- add the chicken pieces
- turn up the heat and fry them til the chicken is white
- add the other two cups – soy sauce and wine, also a tbsp of sugar
- stir it all leave it to cook until the juice is soaked up, the sauce should be thick and not much left
- add the basil leaves, spring onion and chili slices and stir and toss the food for about 20 seconds
- that’s it, enjoy! We served it with white rice.
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact recipe step by step, as she prepares and cooks the spring rolls.
How to make Taiwanese style 3 Cup Chicken 三杯雞 cooking video 烹飪影片
We really hope you enjoy this meal. 3 cup chicken is always a favourite here, sometimes you can substitute prawns for a change too.