Taiwanese slow cooked sliced belly pork 爌肉飯 is a very popular Taiwanese dish. You can also make the Taiwanese Hamburgers 刈包 using the pork slices produced using this method. In that case put the pork slices in a bread roll with some spicy pickle and peanut powder and a little coriander. This is a nicely filling meal, and you will remain full for quite a while. Taiwanese slow cooked sliced belly pork 爌肉飯 was a favourite farmer’s food and now it’s a very popular Taiwanese Street Food. More recently the Taiwanese Hamburger 刈包 was invented using the meat prepared in this recipe served on a steamed bread roll.
The ingredients 食材 are as follows;
- 750g belly pork, as lean as you can get it
- a bunch of spring onions
- 2 large carrots
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 chili
- 3 star anise
- 1 tbsp sugar, 2tbsp rock sugar
- half cup of soy sauce
- 1tsp of 5 spice powder
- rice and broccoli to serve
The method 作法;
- slice the belly pork and mix it up with 2 tbsp of the soy sauce
- heat up the pan and oil and put in the pork to brown both sides
- push the pork to one side and add the spring onion, star anise, chili and garlic to the frying pan
- when you can smell the spice aroma then add the sugar and rock sugar
- 1 minute later add the rest of the soy sauce to the pan
- now add just enough hot water to be about level with the ingredients in the pan
- add 1 tsp of 5 spice powder
- wait for it to boil and then simmer on low heat for 20 minutes (lid on the pan)
- now put in your carrot chunks for 10 minutes further cooking time
- Now the meal is ready to serve with your broccoli and rice
- if you want to make the Taiwanese Hamburgers 刈包 then just put the meat in some steamed bread with spicy green pickle, peanut powder and coriander.
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact method step by step, as she prepares the Taiwanese slow cooked sliced belly pork 爌肉飯. It’s good to watch the timings of adding the ingredients and you can see how the ingredients are chopped into sizes etc.
Taiwanese slow cooked sliced belly pork 爌肉飯 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Next up we will be talking about our new Greenhouse and gardening at our new house. Really will this time, we have the pictures now!