Taiwanese Crispy Chicken and Crispy Duck 五香脆皮雞/鴨 is a great starter, or just make more and have it as a main! Everyone has tried Crispy Duck (with the thin pancakes and Hoi Sin Sauce) at the local Chinese restaurant but what about Crispy Chicken? I’ve never seen it on a menu. Joanne says Crispy Chicken is more popular in Taiwan than Crispy Duck, but I never had it there either, during my 4 years stay. Anyway here we are with both Duck and Chicken made crispy a delicious taste test! Which will win?
The ingredients 食材 to serve as a starter for 4 people (main for 2 people), are as follows;
- Stock/marinade: 1 litre of water, 6 star anise, 1 tsp cloves, 3 bay leaves, 1 tsp red pepper, 1 stick of cinnamon (the 5 spices!), half a tsp of salt and 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 duck legs and 2 chicken legs
- cooking oil
- salt and pepper powder for service
The method 作法;
- Make the stock/marinade – put the 5 spices in the water, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hr, wait until it’s cool and then you can put the meat pieces in. Cover all the meat and put the bowl in the fridge for 2 days (cover it).
- Two days later take the meat out of the stock/marinade and wash it and dry it using tissue
- Get a frying pan ready to deep fry the meat.
- Fry the meat pieces until golden brown.
- Take the meat out and heat the oil until very hot before you re-fry the meat, when it’s nearly ready there will be less bubbles, that should be less than 5 minutes if you aren’t sure.
- Take out the meat and dust with salt and pepper powder. We served it with freshly cut cucumber and some spring onion/chilli slices. Delicious!
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact method step by step, as she prepares the Taiwanese Crispy Chicken and Crispy Duck 五香脆皮雞/鴨. Before I was saying about the taste test… Well before the cooking/tasting Joanne said she prefers Crispy Duck… Now she has changed her mind to preferring Crispy Chicken. I agree it’s much more delicious, so if you love Crispy Duck you should definitely try Crispy Chicken, it just needs a couple of days to marinade – so plan ahead and make enough for everyone!
How to make Taiwanese 5 Spice Crispy Chicken and Crispy Duck 五香脆皮雞/鴨 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Next up we will be talking about our new Greenhouse and gardening at our new house.