Today on Taiwan Duck we have made a sauce that goes very well with many of our other recipes and many other Taiwanese street foods. Everyone likes a little spice and this Taiwanese Chili Seeds Sauce 台式辣椒子醬 can deliver a little or a lot, depending on how much you use! The special thing about this Taiwanese Chili Seeds Sauce 台式辣椒子醬 is its smoothness, at first it seems smooth and not so spicy but it builds up the heat on your palette subtly probably thanks to the oil content masking the heat for a short while. This sauce is not all about the heat it is also a flavoursome sauce. Please try it in the place of where you might have other shop bought chili sauces.
The ingredients 食材 (a bowl is a normal Chinese rice bowl);
- 1 bowl of red chili seeds
- 1 bowl of cooking oil
- half a bowl of sesame oil
- half a bowl of your favourite soy sauce
- 1tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar
- 1tbsp grated garlic, 1 tbsp grated ginger
- a pinch of vegetable starch
The method 作法;
- Put all the ingredients except for the 2 oils into a big heat-resistant bowl
- heat up your oil mixture in a pan
- when your oil is very hot, about 170 celcius take it from the cooker and pour into the bowl with all the other ingredients – carefully!
- stir up the mixture slowly and carefully with some chop sticks
- when it’s cooled you can put this sauce in a sterilised jar in the fridge, it will last for about 3 months
Joanne has recorded a how to make Taiwanese Chili Seeds Sauce 台式辣椒子醬 cooking video so you can see and follow the exact method she uses. With this recipe please be VERY CAREFUL with the hot oil, pouring it over your ingredients in the ovenable mixing bowl.
When you are done this sauce can be a great accompanyment or dip for many other Taiwan Duck dishes like;
- Taiwanese breakfast wrap- “Dan Bin” 蛋餅
- Pork Dumplings, Taiwanese style 如何製作台灣口味豬肉水餃
- Roasted Duck Spring Rolls 烤鴨春捲
- Turnip Cake, a Chinese dim-sum favorite 蘿蔔糕
- Taiwanese Beef Mince Pies (Shen Bin) 牛肉餡餅
- Japanese style pork chop 日式和风猪排
- Salt and Pepper Squid 椒鹽魷魚
- Fried Chicken Steak 大雞排 Taiwanese Style
- Stuffed Pork Roll Taiwanese style 黑胡椒豬肉卷
- Taiwanese Sausages, Shang Tang 香腸
- Taiwanese salty crispy chicken 鹹酥雞
- and Chinese chives and beef pastie 韭菜盒子
How to make Taiwanese Chili Seeds Sauce 台式辣椒子醬 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!