Sweet and Sour Chicken 糖醋鸡肉 is a very popular dish around the world. This Taiwanese method to make it is less sweet than a lot of the versions you might have eaten and contains all natural ingredients with no colouring. We never use chemicals or colours on Taiwan Duck anyway. Sweet and Sour Chicken Taiwanese Style 糖醋鸡肉 is a more wholesome version of the classic for you to enjoy. You can also try this dish with other meats and fish. One of our other favourite versions is with small squares of crispy battered fish in place of the chicken in this recipe. That takes a bit more time to prepare but if you like fish it’s worth the effort.
The ingredients 食材 are as follows;
- 2 large chicken breasts cut to your preferred size
- 1 small onion
- a green pepper
- a carrot
- a stick of celery
- some pineapple chunks (about as much as the carrot)
- more pineapple (as above) for the juice
- 2 spring onions & some garlic
- sauce: 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp ketchup, 2 tbsp water, 1tbsp tapioca flour to thicken
The method 作法;
- chop up the meat and vegetables
- squeeze one portion of pineapple over the raw chicken, mix it together, add a dash of soy sauce, 1 tbsp corn flour, and 1 tbsp tapioca flour, mix some more
- add the chicken mixture to a medium hot pan of cooking oil, just brown it, then take it out
- now put your vegetables (but not spring onion/garlic) in the oil for a couple of minutes, drain them, heat up the pan with the remaining small coating of oil
- fry the spring onion & garlic in this little bit of oil
- when you can small a strong onion/garlic aroma add the sauce mixture you prepared earlier
- when it’s bubbling strongly add the rest of the chicken and vegetables
- stir fry it all together for a few minutes
- serve with rice, enjoy!
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the timings, chopping sizes and method step by step, as she prepares the Sweet and Sour Chicken Taiwanese Style 糖醋鸡肉. This is quite a flexible dish with regards to ingredients ; we used celery because it is in season, we like it too. The pineapple is always necessary for the “sweet” and the sourness can be varied with the amount and type of vinegar you use. We used organic apple vinegar in this recipe.
How to make Sweet and Sour Chicken Taiwanese Style 糖醋鸡肉 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! I would guess what we are cooking next time but I’m always wrong!