Here’s a great Taiwanese food for the winter months; Sesame Kidney 麻油腰花. This is quite a simple dish and it doesn’t take long to make. The most time consuming element of this recipe is the preparation of the kidneys; removing the veins etc and then cutting it with a chequer just like how squid is often prepared. If you don’t know what I mean just watch Joanne’s video! As well as being served as it come there is an extra filling option to throw in a bungle of rice noodles when the Sesame Kidney 麻油腰花 is just about ready. This is also a traditional meal in Taiwan.
The ingredients 食材 (a bowl is a normal Chinese rice bowl);
- 2 large pig kidneys
- 1 bowl of rice wine
- 1/3 bowl of sesame oil
- 12 slices of ginger
- 2 tbsp of goji berries
- 1/2 bowl of stock (we used stock from boiled pork ribs)
- a 1/3 teaspoon of salt
The method 作法;
- Prepare the ingredients as shown in the picture, as you can see in the picture the kidney needs preparing and slicing still
- Cut the kidneys in half and fillet out the veins etc with a sharp knife
- Use your knife to cut partially through the kidneys in a chequerboard pattern, then cut them up into 2 inch squares
- Now put the kidney pieces into a large bowl and pour boiling water over them, leave them for 3 or 4 minutes
- Heat up a pan on medium heat, add the ginger pieces, then ass in the sesame oil and fry slowly until you can smell a good ginger sna sesame smell
- Drain the kidney from the water and put it in to stir fry for a minutes before adding the rice wine
- Now add your salt and bring everything back up to simmer for a minute
- If you like noodle or rice noodles add them now to cook
- Garnish the meal with the goji berries which have been soaked to soften and some chopped spring onion greens. That’s it!
Joanne has recorded a how to make Sesame Kidney 麻油腰花 cooking video so you can see and follow the exact method she uses, pay particular attention to her technique of “filleting” and cutting the kidneys. Be careful as you will need a very sharp knife in this prep also watch out with the boiling water blanching of the kidneys before you stir fry them.
How to make Sesame Kidney 麻油腰花醬 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!