Salt and Pepper Squid 台灣椒鹽魷魚(中卷) is a great starter, or just make more and have it as a main! This is one of our all time favourites. Delicious Salt and Pepper Squid. Crispy on the outside, soft inside with little spicy pieces of pepper, onion and red and green chili. If you are not big on squid there are lots of other things you can make in Salt & Pepper style such as beef or chicken or prawn, they all work wonderfully mouthwateringly. Also eat it while it’s still hot, so if you are preparing a selection of dishes then cook this one last so everyone can eat it fresh and hot.
The ingredients 食材 to serve 4 people, are as follows;
- 2 medium squid, chopped into pieces 2.5cm (or 1 inch) square approximately
- 1 red chili, 1 green chili (as hot as you want!) chopped finely
- half a green pepper, chopped finely but a little bigger than the other spices
- half an onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- a small piece of ginger chopped finely
- 1 tsp of salt and 2 tsp of coarse black pepper
- coating – flour,egg and potato flour
The method 作法;
- chop the squid as described above
- get ready the other ingredients – the spices can be put into one bowl and the coating stuff should be put on 3 plates
- dip the squid in the flour then the egg, then the potato flour (or sweet potato flour)
- after you’ve done all the squid pieces and you see the coating looks a bit wet, that means it’s ready to fry – the coating will stick well
- fry the coated squid pieces until golden brown, then take it out and drain, pour excess oil from the pan
- into the still hot pan put the spices in, starting with the ginger, then onion, garlic, chillis then green pepper
- when those ingredients have fried and softened you put the crispy pieces of squid back into the pan and toss it and mix it all together
- now it’s ready to serve, we like it on it’s own, with other dishes and also with white rice
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact method step by step, as she prepares the Salt and Pepper Squid 台灣椒鹽魷魚(中卷). Remember this Salt & Pepper method works with other meats and fish as well so you can substitute the squid for anything you like more or less. Or you could make a selection/variety in one session, it’s up to you and your fellow diners.
How to make Salt and Pepper Squid 台灣椒鹽魷魚(中卷) cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Next recipe is Braised Pork in Ginger and Spring Onion!