These pork dumplings 豬肉水餃 are a staple of the Taiwanese diet. People eat these at any of the meals of the day and also just for snacks. So you might eat these at any time of day, or night! There are several names for these pork dumplings and it depends upon how they are cooked also. Most commonly they are called “Sway Jeow” 水餃, which translates as water dumpling, they are boiled or steamed. The fried ones are called “Jen Jeow”, Jen = fried!
The ingredients 食材 are as follows;
- pork mince 500g
- 1 whole sweetheart cabbage
- 5 spring onions
- 1 carrot
- 5 chinese mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- a packet of 40/50 dumpling pastries (made of flour and water and skill/time if you can’t find them!)
- soy sauce 3 tbsp
- water, 2 tbsp
- sesame oil, 1 tbsp
- white vinegar, 1 tbsp
- 1 spring onion, chopped up small
The method 作法;
- everything has to be chapped up very small so the pieces don’t damage the ‘skin’ or pastry of the dumpling
- mix all the ingredients together in a big bowl, rub it all together well
- as in the video! put spoonfuls of the mixture in the skins/pastry, using a little water as the ‘glue’ for the join
- repeat 40 or 50 times!
- get the frying pan hot, put some oil in and place dumplings in a circle.
- mix some cornflour with water and pour over the dumplings as they fry
- now add 1/3 cup of water and cover over the pan
- 3 minutes later turn over the dumpling ‘pancake’
- cover again, another 3 minutes, turn over again , 1 minute later they are ready!
- boil the water ready in a pan
- add the dumplings, they will be covered in the water
- cover the pan, when it boils again add half a cup of cold water
- cover the pan again and boil it again
- turn off the cooker, count to 20
- they are ready to serve!
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact recipe step by step, as she cooks the meal.
Pork Dumplings, Taiwanese Style 豬肉水餃 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! The next recipe will be 3 cup chicken! 3杯雞