We cooked Octopus (or Squid) in tomato sauce 茄汁章魚(魷魚) and made an accompanying video. Octopus taste is very similar to squid so you can use squid if your prefer or it is readily available. For us Octopus was a great price at the market and we have heard it’s got more vitamins and nutrients than squid, so that’s all good. One drawback with octopus is that the legs can be a bit chewy but the body should be as soft as a good piece of squid if cooked correctly.
The ingredients 食材;
- 500g octopus (or Squid if you prefer)
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 spring onions, half a regular onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- some ginger, white pepper, salt
- fish sauce (or powder)
- rice wine
- tomato ketchup
- corn flour
The method 作法;
- clean and chop up your octopus (squids)
- then chop up all the other vegetables and spices as in the picture above
- to the bowl of chopped octopus add a sprinkle of salt and a dash or rice wine and rub it all together
- boil a pan of water, put the octopus pieces in for about half a minute to wash/scald it
- heat up a large pan, then add a little oil, when hot add in the ginger and onion
- then add the garlic and tomatoes
- now it’s time to re-introduce the octopus pieces
- add a teaspoon of sugar, some salt, white pepper and a dash of fish sauce
- follow this with a good squirt of ketchup (probably 3 tbsp)
- add a small amount of cornflour in water to thicken the sauce
- finally add in your chopped spring onions, one more minute stir fry and it’s ready!
- serve with rice, that’s all you need because of the vegetables in the dish.
Joanne has recorded a Octopus (or Squid) in tomato sauce 茄汁章魚(魷魚) cooking video so you can see and follow the timings, chopping sizes, and method step by step, as she prepares this seafood spectacular. The sauce with the octopus is really delicious and blends with the rice very well. It’s very wholesome and low fat, most of the sauce juice is from the tomatoes and onions juices.
How to make Octopus (or Squid) in tomato sauce 茄汁章魚(魷魚), cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Next up will be a fried rice dish! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!