This Miso Soup 味噌湯 is quick and easy and for a vegetarian option. In the video Jaonne makes this Miso Soup in the vegetarian way but it’s simple, and delicious to make it with small fish peices in the soup. For instance when you fillet a salmon there are often lots of meat left on the bones and this can go in the soup, it’s a good match. Most other fish works well including smoked fish and squid. You don’t need much, just a little cut into small pieces. Another vegetarian option and one that is very popular is to use small tofu pieces in the soup. Miso soup can be a great starter or snack with very little fat in it, if any.
The ingredients 食材 to serve 4 people, are as follows;
- 1 tbsp miso paste, (it’s salty fermented soyabean paste)
- 1 tbsp dried seaweed (thin pieces, young seaweed)
- 1 tsp sweet rice wine (Mirin)
- a spring onion (scallion), chopped
- (optional) 1 chinese bowl of fish pieces or tofu pieces
The method 作法;
- boil about 5 Chinese bowls of water in a pan
- add the optional tofu/fish and cook for 5 minutes
- mix the miso paste with a little cold water until smooth
- add the miso paste (through a sieve/strainer) into the boiling water
- heat to boil again
- add the Mirin – sweet rice wine
- add the seaweed pieces
- in a couple of minutes you will see the seaweed pieces have opened up to full size, it’s done
- put 1 tbsp of chopped spring onion in a Chinese bowl, fill the bowl with hot soup from the pan and serve
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact method step by step, as she prepares the Miso Soup 味噌湯. Please try it yourself and let us know your favourite fish pieces or tufu or just simple like we did!
How to make Miso Soup 味噌湯 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Next recipe is Salt & Pepper Squid!