We all love to eat Japanese style pork chop 日式和风猪排 here at the Taiwan Duck house. In Taiwan Japanese cuisine is very popular, the island used to be a Japanese colony about 60 years ago and this is reflected in several aspects of Taiwanese life and culture, and yes of course – food. These Japanese style pork chops 日式和风猪排 are cooked very crispy on the outside, with soft and juicy pork inside. The sauce is a favourite in Japan too. This is a great way to make pork chops and is quite quick to do. The sauce is called ‘wind’ sauce, but I don’t know why, it’s not spicy at all and is slightly sweet but it does indeed go great with the pork chops. In many ways this is similar to the Taiwanese street food ji-pie which uses chicken escalopes rather than pork. You can make that simply by swapping the pork with the chicken escalopes and using spicy seasoning in the place of the Mirin sauce. Remember to make some vegetables to keep your meal and your diet balanced!
The ingredients 食材 are as follows;
- 4 – 6 pork chops
- half a Chinese bowl of flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 Chinese bowl of breadcrumbs
- for the sauce 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 2 tbsp of soy sauce and 1 tbsp of Mirin (sweet white rice wine)
The method 作法;
- get the boneless pork chops and hit them with your tenderiser until about half thickness
- put the flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs on three large plates to make it easy to dip in the pork pieces
- dip the pork in flour first, then in egg, then in the breadcrumbs
- when all the chops are nicely covered leave them so that the crumbs stick well to the drying egg and pork (like waiting for glue to dry)
- now fry the pork in hot oil until golden brown, turning periodically
- mix the sauce in a small bowl, the ingredients as above
- We served the chops on a bed of finely chopped sweetheart cabbage (optional) and with a ball of mashed mooli (chinese radish, also optional)
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact method step by step, as she prepares the pork chops.
How to make Japanese style pork chop 日式和风猪排 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! The next recipe video will be made using our new HD video camera!