Yes, we do like to eat Crispy food here at Taiwan Duck! Also we like fish so this is one of our favourite dishes. In Chinese; Crispy Soy Bean Cod is pronounced “Doe Shu Shay Ooe” 豆酥魚! That is what you would ask for to order this dish in a restaurant. One of the harder to find ingredients might be the crispy soya beans, but of course it’s essential for this recipe, it’s in the name. If you can’t buy soya bean flakes/crumbs then you can prepare your own; soak some soya beans overnight. Pour away the water, blend them and then fry them til crispy, that’s it. Also any kind of white fish is good as long as the flavour isn’t too strong, we like cod and haddock but others are nice too.
The ingredients 食材, to make crispy fish for about 4 people;
- 2 fish fillets
- half a Chinese bowl of crispy soya bean pieces
- 2 tbsp hot bean paste
- 3 garlic cloves
- one red chili
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- a hand full of basil leaves
- one spring onion chopped finely
The method 作法;
- collect together and chop up your ingredients
- cut the fish into easy to turn sizes and coat in a little flour
- heat up the frying pan and fry the fish until both sides are golden brown
- put the fish to one side and now fry the hot bean paste, when this is bubbling hot pour it into the bowl of soya bean flakes
- now fry the garlic, spring onion and red chili together a little, then add the mixture of crispy soy bean/hot bean paste – fry all this together (optional add a splash of soy sauce at this time)
- when this frying mixture looks ready put it on top of the fish on the serving plate
- garnish with some choped basil leaves and serve with rice
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact recipe and method step by step, as she prepares, cooks and presents the Crispy Soya Bean Fried Fish. 豆酥魚
We served the crispy fish with white rice (and barley), also we had greens from the garden on the side. At this time our ‘Chard’ vegetables are producing nice leaves, so that was the choice with this meal. The quick stir fried vegetables reduced and provided a little ‘gravy sauce’ to prevent the meal being too dry, so please think about a saucy side dish to accompany our Crisoy Soya Fried Fish 豆酥魚. Vegetables is the quick and healthy option.
How to make Crispy Soya Bean Fried Fish 豆酥魚 cooking video 烹飪影片
We really hope you enjoy this Crispy Soya Bean Fried Fish 豆酥魚. If you make this recipe please let us know how it goes. The next recipe will be Beef Shen-bin! Stay tuned!