Fried Chicken Steak 大雞排 Taiwanese Style is a popular Taiwanese Street Food, it’s pronounced. Most often it is served with rice or french fries. And a particular kind of salt & pepper powder is always sprinkled upon the freshly fried pieces. The street seller will often also ask you if you want hot spice too. Below we show the Fried Chicken Steak 大雞排 Taiwanese Style served whole with a bowl of rice and some side salad and further below you can see it seerved sliced on a bed of lettuce, another popular method of serving this dish.
The ingredients 食材 to serve 4 people, are as follows;
- 3 chicken breasts
- one cup of flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- one cup of sweeet potato flour
- Marinade: half cup of soy sauce, 1 tbsp rice wine, 1 tbsp of sugar, some white and black pepper, 1/3 teaspoon of five spice powder, 3 pieces of garlic, one spring onion, a dash of sesame oil – all blended together by hand
- Sauce/Dip: 2 tbsp of mayonnaise, half a lemon juiced, 1 tbsp of sugar, finely chopped thumb sized piece of onion and gherkin blended together.
The method 作法;
- slice the chicken breast open into three times the size (watch the video!) then use the meat tenderiser (hammer) to make it .
- put these chicken pieces in the marinade for half an hour or more in your fridge
- coat the chicken pieces in flour, then egg, then sweet potato flour, leave them until the flour surface becomes wet (making sure it’s stuck on well)
- into hot oil add the pieces of coated chicken, fry until golden brown
- take the chicken out, get the oil very hot and put the chicken pieces back in for about 10 seconds only.
- put the pieces on a kitchen towel and chop the chicken into ‘fingers’
- serve either with a bowl of rice and salad ”Gee Pie Fan” 雞排飯or on a bed of lettuce “Da Gee Pie” 大雞排, enjoy! Both ways are nice with our dip (above) a kind of Tartare sauce.
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the exact method step by step, as she prepares the Fried Chicken Steak 大雞排 Taiwanese Style. You should watch the way to make the chicken breast three times wider, very useful for many dishes of chicken fillet. This is one of our favourite Taiwanese Street Foods, so please try it.
How to make Fried Chicken Steak 大雞排 Taiwanese Style, cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping. See you next time!