Here is a nice sweet/dessert that is very popular in Taiwan. Sometimes you will receive this for free at the end of a meal if you are lucky and in the right restaurant. We have called it “Hot Toffee Sweet Potato” in English or 拔絲地瓜 in Chinese- Taiwanese dessert. If you like the idea of hot sweet potato in a crispy sugar shell then give this a try!
The ingredients 食材;
- half a large sweet potato (about 300g)
- small amount of flour
- 150g sugar
- a little water
- a bowl of iced water to serve alongside the hot potato
The method 作法;
- chop the sweet potato into finger sized ‘chips.
- dry the sweet potato pieces with kitchen towel
- mix in a little flour with the sweet potato pieces to give a light coating
- now heat up deep frying oil in a pan to very hot, add the sweet potato until golden brown, they will start to float up when ready too
- add your sugar to a non-stick pan add a little water so that you can stir and melt it on a low heat, keep stirring so it doesn’t burn
- drain the sweet potato pieces of oil and add it to the melted sugar pan and stir it all up together
- mop a little cooking oil on a large plate and pour the sugar coated sweet potato chips onto it
- use your chopsticks ot pick up the sweet potato pieces and dip them in the iced water to get extra crisp before taking a bite of this yummy dessert!
Joanne has recorded a how to make Hot Toffee Sweet Potato 拔絲地瓜 video showing you the method step-by-step, please see below.
Hot Toffee Sweet Potato 拔絲地瓜, cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!