Today we have a new dessert recipe for you! A reader wrote to Joanne asking about Fried Milk which was new to Joanne but a bit like a lighter fluffier version of Nien Gow. We actually like this better than Nien Gow now as it’s lighter and fluffy inside while being crispy on the outside. The Fried Milk also takes the flavour of your added ingredients better. In the video we served it with Vanilla Ice Cream and coconut powder, drizzled with condensed milk. Later on we tried it with some peanut powder and that was actually our favourite but that’s not on the video but if you like peanuts try that version first!
The ingredients (for 4 to 6 people) 食材;
- 1 mug of milk
- 2/3 mug of corn flour
- 1/3 mug of white sugar
- 2 egg whites (from large eggs)
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- a pinch of salt
The method 作法;
- mix up all the ingredients in a large pan
- on a medium heat stir constantly
- when the mixture is starting to get thick add in two egg whites and stir it vigorously
- the hot mixture will be about as thick as toothpaste
- spoon it into a greased flat bottomed bowl
- leave to cool in the fridge for about 3 hours
- turn out the “cake” onto a work surface and slice into rectangles about 1.5cm thick
- fry the rectangle shaped pieces on a medium heat until you feel they are crispy on all sides, this cake isn’t supposed to brown though
- serve with a choice and combination of Vanilla Ice Cream, coconut powder, peanut powder, drizzled with condensed milk
- try different toppings and accompaniments as you wish, let me know if you find anything super-special!
Joanne has recorded a how to make 炸牛奶 Fried milk cooking video so you can see and follow the timings, chopping shapes and sizes, and method step by step, as she prepares this delicious dessert for you and your friends.
炸牛奶 Fried milk, cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!