Today Joanne made Chinese chives and beef pastie 韭菜盒子. In fact she made 10 of them using the ingredients below. This is a good time of year for this dish as if you have any Chinese chives left in your garden you can’t leave them unpicked for too much longer as it gets colder. If it is difficult for you to get Chinese chives you can substitute them with your choice of spring onions, leeks and regular chives. Anyway please try these Chinese chives and beef pasties 韭菜盒子, they really are delicious!
The ingredients 食材 (for 10 pasties);
- 500g beef mince
- Green bean noodles (冬粉一把) one bundle
- A bunch of Chinese chives
- 1tbsp black pepper, 1tbsp sugar, 1tbsp grated ginger, half tbsp of white pepper
- Soy sauce, rice wine, a splash of seame oil
- Dough: 500g of flour, 150ml boiling, 150ml cold water.
The method 作法;
- Prepare the ingredients as shown in the picture and chop you chives up into short lengths of about 1cm
- Our green bean noodles were cooked and then chopped up for use in the “pasties”
- Add all the spices, soy sauce, sesame oil and rice wine to the beef mince in a large mixing bowl and mix it all together with your hands
- Now mix in your chives thoroughly and then your cut noodles thoroughly
- Now that is done put it to one side and we will make the dough/bread/pastry to encase the filling
- In a large mixing bowl add 150ml of freshly boiled water, stir it with chopsticks, not your hands!
- As you are mixing now add the cold water as needed bit-by-bit
- Now you can use your hands to knead the dough, you should have a little of the cold water left, save it in case you need it later, don’t make it too wet!
- Put flour on the table and knead more until there is 3 shiny things; shiny table, shiny hands and shiny dough
- Make the dough into a long roll and cut into 10 equal sized pieces
- With each of these pieces you will make one pastie 韭菜盒子
- Roll a piece of dough into a circle an put a spoon of filling into the middle, crimp it closed with your fingers (Best to look at the video if you haven’t already! At about 9 minutes 50 seconds)
- Cooking: get the frying pan hot, put a little oil in. Add in the pastie 韭菜盒子, as many as fit in.
- After a few seconds throw in a little water and cover with a lid.
- A couple of minutes later turn them over.
- Now all the water is gone you can take off the lid. Listen to the sound of the gravy boiling when they are properly cooked (see Joanne’s video at 13 minutes)
- Now you can serve with a dip of light soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil
- Enjoy eating! These can be re-heated at a later date in the oven once cooked, just like pies!
Joanne has recorded a making Chinese chives and beef pastie 韭菜盒子 cooking video so you can see and follow the timings, chopping shapes and sizes, and method step by step, as she prepares this delicious traditional handy Taiwanese dish.
Chinese chives and beef pastie 韭菜盒子 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!