With juicy chicken and crispy honey roasted cashew nuts, a delicious sauce, on a bed of rice, this is a wonderful meal any time! Also it’s quite quick and easy, not too much preparation or cooking time required. This dish is very popular in the UK and rightly so, you can get a pretty good version in most Chinese restaurants and takeaways in any town. It’s nice to make it yourself and you can use free range chicken and fresh ingredients from the market. As always Joanne used her range of Prestige Pans for the cooking!
The ingredients 食材;
- 2 large chicken breasts, chopped into cubes
- 2 spring onions
- a chili (mild not spicy!)
- a piece of ginger, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp sugar
- 2/3 of a Chinese bowl of cashew nuts
The method 作法;
- Chop your ingredients as shown in the picture
- add the soy sauce to the chopped chicken and also the sugar, mix that up and put in a couple of tbsp of tapioca flout (or cornflour) to keep the chicken juicy when it cooks
- now we are going to cook the cashew nuts – heat up some oil in a pan and when it’s hot add the nuts, keep stirring or they will burn, it only takes a minute for them all to brown
- drain the oil from the nuts, use a sieve
- now turn the heat low and put the same pan back on the stove (there’s a tiny bit of oil left in the pan) , squirt the honey into the pan, probably 2 or 3 tbsp.
- A couple of minutes later and they are golden and ready, put them to one side in a bowl to cool, they are VERY hot and will stick to your skin, don’t touch them for a while!
- Now to cook the chicken, heat about 1 or 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan, first add the ginger slices, followed shortly by the chicken chunks
- When the chicken starts looking brown you can add the rest of the chopped vegetables and a sprinkle of salt, to taste
- 2 minutes later add in your roaster cashew nuts, toss and stir fry the food and serve immediately!
- we served ours with some stir fried green vegetables and rice on the side.
Joanne has recorded a how to make Chicken and Cashew Nuts 腰果雞丁 cooking video so you can see and follow the timings, chopping sizes, and method step by step, as she prepares this delicious Chinese traditional food. Please try it, it’s quick and easy!
How to make Chicken and Cashew Nuts 腰果雞丁, cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Next up will be a Thai dish on Taiwan Duck! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!