Braised Tofu Taiwanese Vegetarian style 台灣紅燒豆腐，素食 is a delicious vegetarian option for you and your friends. Yes, vegetarian and delicious, with a full flavour to satisfy your tastebuds, and a little spice to warm your heart. Serve this braised tofu with rice for traditional Taiwanese style. It’s a very flexible dish which you can add your favourite seasonal vegetables in addition or in substitute to those Joanne chose for her cooking today. Another great flexibility is that you can add meat or seafood and this often happens to this dish in Taiwan if there’s no vegetarians at the table.
The ingredients 食材 are as follows;
- 500g fresh tofu
- 3 colours of peppers (half a pepper of each)
- a stick of celery or two
- wood ear fungus, a handful
- a cup of dried shitake mushrooms
- one chopped spring onion
- a chili
- a thumb of ginger
- sauce – 2 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp thick soy sauce, some sesame oil, corn flour and a vegetable stock cube, 2 tsp sugar
The method 作法;
- soak the dried mushrooms and wood ear fungus overnight in a cup of water (keep the water for the gravy/sauce)
- cut the tofu into small/medium triangles
- chop up the rest of the ingredients to your liking
- in a small bowl make the sauce with the 2 soy sauces and the stock cube, the dried mushroom soak water and use cornflour to thicken and 2 tsp of sugar
- now quick fry all your peppers and celery, about 20 seconds in hot shallow oil
- in the hot pan pour out the oil and put in some sesame oil, just about 2 tbsp
- put the tofu pieces in the hot pan and add a teaspoon of sugar to help the browning
- turn the tofu patiently until all your sides are browned and crispy
- when it looks ready, push the tofu to the side and add the other vegetables, stir with a bit more oil if you need it, also add a bit of soy sauce.
- add the bowl of sauce you made now braise the whole lot together for a couple of minutes so the sauce flavour goes into the tofu
- optionally add a dash of Worcester sauce and a sprig basil to serve!
As usual Joanne has recorded a cooking video so you can follow the timings, chopping sizes and method step by step, as she prepares the Braised Tofu Taiwanese Vegetarian style 台灣紅燒豆腐，素食. This is our favourite vegetarian meal, so it’s worth a try for sure. I can’t think of a better way to enjoy tofu!
Braised Tofu Taiwanese Vegetarian style 台灣紅燒豆腐，素食 cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Next up we will be talking about the vegetable and plants market auctions in Spalding.