This Taiwanese food is steeped very deeply in Taiwanese tradition. A favourite in Taiwan it is quite a simple filling food popular for many years for a healthy, satisfying meal for farming families. Now everyone likes it and it’s popular at countless eateries in Taiwan. This time Joanne has made her video in Taiwanese and Chinese language, but English speakers/listeners can watch it too and follow these ingredients and instructions below!
The ingredients 食材;
- 1Kg pork
- half bowl soy sauce, quarter bowl dark soy sauce,
- large piece rock sugar,
- half bowl dried onion
- 2 star anise
- 2 tbsp dried garlic
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp (soaked for a couple of hours then chopped up)
- half bowl red rice wine,
- 7 small eggs
- serve with rice, some boiled greens and Japanese radish pickle like we did
The method 作法;
- Prepare brown pork chopping into 5mm square chunks
- also get the other ingredients ready as shown in the picture
- dry fry the pork chunks, if not much fat on the meat then you can use a little lard
- when water gone from the meat and it’s browned a little add the shrimps
- add sugar rock and aniseed
- add the 5 spice
- add all the rest of the ingredients except the boiled eggs and just only half of your wine
- cover and steam the food for about 5 minutes, turn the heat to medium
- add some hot water until just over the food
- now put your eggs in the pan and cover the pan
- leave covered and cook for 30 minutes, turn the eggs sometimes so they absorb the flavours
- add the other half the wine, cover and cook for 2 more minutes it’s then ready to serve
- we boiled some vegetables to put on the side (kai lan), served with rice and some Japanese mustard pickle radish slices!
Joanne has recorded a how to make Braised pork on rice (Lu Rou Fan) 滷肉飯 cooking video so you can see and follow the timings, chopping sizes, and method step by step, as she prepares this delicious Taiwanese traditional food. This is a satisfying and simple dish which is definitely Taiwanese, another Taiwanese signature flavour. Please try it!
How to make Braised pork on rice (Lu Rou Fan) 滷肉飯 Taiwanese style food, cooking video
Stay tuned for more help, advice, cooking and shopping! Next up will be a surprise dish on Taiwan Duck Tuesday! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!