We don’t just live upon 100% Taiwanese food here at Taiwan Duck house! Joanne likes to make foods that originated in lots of countries and with a lot of world food influences. So today for a change and since it’s New Year we thought it would be nice to share a favourite cold weather recipe that is a firm family favourite. It’s Italian influenced and Joanne’s way of making beef and spinach lasagne 波菜牛肉千層麵. Hope you like it!
The ingredients 食材 (for 4 people);
- 300g spinach
- 250g beef mince
- 200g mushroom
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can of peeled tomatoes
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 12 pieces of lasagne
- Some cooking oil
- Spices: 1tsp salt, sugar, pepper, Italian herbs and 3 cloves of garlic.
The method 作法;
- Add a little salt to a big pan of boiling water and put the baby spinach in little by little, you will see it wilt and shrink
- Now take the spinach out of the hot water and into cold water, we didn’t want to cook it, just wilt it, leave the spinach to one side for now
- Heat a large frying pan with a little oil, add the onion and stir fry it for a couple of minutes. The rest of the herbs and spices can now be added
- Now add all the chopped mushrooms, we like the strong mushroom flavour
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and all the juice
- When all is soft, about 5 minutes later, push aside all the cooked stuff and put the mince in the clear area of the pan.
- Brown the mince and when it’s brown mix it all together and sprinkle about a third of your cheese into the pan. Now stir in a couple of tablespoons of tomato ketchup.
- Leave this on a low heat and now we will prepare the sheets of lasagne…
- Using the previous hot spinach water – heat up this water and add a little oil.
- Now submerge the sheets of lasagne in the hot water one by one so they don’t stick together.
- Now we prepare the lasagne baking dish by rubbing the isides with a little oil.
- Now we’re going to make the lasagne structure – make layers of meat sauce, lasagne sheets and spinach leaves – repeat and top the whole “pie” with the rest of the grated cheese.
- Put the finished lasagne tray into a very hot oven (200C or so) for 20 minutes or so, it’s already more or less cooked, this step is mainly to provide texture by crisping up the top of the lasagne in its dish
Joanne has recorded a how to make beef and spinach lasagne 波菜牛肉千層麵 video so you can see and follow the exact method, timings and chopping sizes she uses. We enjoyed our lasagne with some home-made pickles such as chillies, onions, gherkins and carrots on the side.
How to make beef and spinach lasagne 波菜牛肉千層麵 video
Stay tuned for more Taiwanese gardening, advice and cooking! Please join us on Facebook and you will hear about our new recipes and videos first!